Sunday, January 15, 2012

The next part I'm working on is not in the plans, but I thought it would be worth making the effort. First of all the thought of making holes in the hull below the water line puts me off. I don't quite see the point of using plywood to build a boat, and then making holes in it, so I was reluctant to drill holes in the watertight compartment just to mount the gudgeons.

So my brother suggested I make this thing, which I will call the transom plate, for lack of better terminology. It is a stainless steel plate that runs from the top of the transom down to the skeg, and bolts through the transom and the outboard motor mount, and at the bottom bolts through the skeg. On this I plan to mount the gudgeons and the rudder retaining clip. It remove the need for holes through the hull, it will make maintenance simpler, it will protect the transom from knocks from the rudder, and it will look really pretty

The picture shows the transom plate with approximate positions of the gudgeons and rudder retaining clip.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home