Saturday, February 18, 2012

Wheels and shafts


Today I worked a bit on the blocks. What I did was to work on the sheaves. Instead of machining sheaves from virgin material, I decided to make new 12 mm sheaves from two 6 mm sheaves. We had them in a box, waiting of this job. To make them I turned down one face of each of six sheaves, so that only the groove was left on one side. These I then glued together with epoxy. This will leave an aesthetically pleasing black line down the centre of each shaeve.

These wheels now will have to be re-grooved to 12 mm.

I also made the axles of the sheaves, by turning down 12 mm stock stainless steel to 10 mm. The blanks are shown in the picture. They will still have to be turned down and drilled through, etc.

It's a very rough job, but I'm doing it this way to main momementum: I don't want to get stuck on details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home